May 3, 2007

Kati & Esther's Story (how they got to the wedding)


September 2004 I [Esther] was working as a kind of campus pastor in my country, Paraguay, when I saw Kati for the first time in an international meeting. She was a campus pastor in Chile, we were good friends first, living in different countries we only saw each other 2 or 3 times a year, but slowly we recognized that we felt something different than just friendship for each other. We felt horrible because we felt that God didn't accept our relationship, so we decided to try and cut off all communication in April 2005. We lived through months and months of suffering, hiding our feelings from everyone, then we began to really study the Bible verses that are commonly used against homosexuality, and we realized that it IS possible to be GLBT and Christian.
At that point that we got in contact and decided to take a trip to Buenos Aires to see each other. Kati told her boss in Chile that she didn’t believe any longer that homosexuality was a sin, and was fired. After 13 months of not seeing each other, we were together for 5 days in May 2006, and I realized that I couldn't live without her. We found a Christian community in Buenos Aires, and a pastor who wanted to bless our relationship. Then I had to go back to Paraguay—while Kati went back to Chile to sell her furniture and say goodbye to the students before returning home to the States.




No comments: